Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Attitude = Anger

I few days ago, I wrote this post on what God was teaching me about my attitude.  For the record, I felt that I was making progress by getting all my feelings written down, admitting that I was the problem.  Perhaps there was some progress made:  as I was driving to work this morning, I was listening to the contemporary christian station when I heard the most brilliant, logical advice.  The announcer said "It's either partly cloudy or partly sunny today.  You choose."  I mindfully chose partly sunny...or did I?

What is it about going into work and all your goals flying out the window?  Does this happen to anyone else?  Is it my job?  Is it the stress from my job?  It is my coworkers?  Or, is it me?  I vote me.  I have a bad attitude...

So, here I am once again returning to the article titled "Check Your Attitude" for some perspective.

1. Identify and Repent of Bad Attitudes

Acts 8:22 "Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you."

Identify:  If I would be asked to put my finger on exactly what I suspect the source cause of my "bad attitude" to be, I would have to say its my lack of self-fulfillment.  I want to be a teacher.  I've worked so hard to pursue that goal, but given the economy I've had to postpone that dream.  So...every...single...day....is a battle for me.  It's a battle for me to get up and go into work--despite that I love my coworkers, despite that I for the most part "like" my job.  It's just not what I want to be doing.  It's not what I am suppose to be doing.  It's not what I was born to be doing, and I get that I'm acting like a baby while I sulk (basically). 

Repent:  Okay, Lord, I'm sorry.  Your ways are not my ways.  I'm sorry that I continue to be a stingy brat...In stead of "I want, I want, I want" I need to be more mindful of what "You want, You expect, You deserve."  I get it.  It is partly sunny...when I choose to look at life that way.

2. Submit Your Attitudes to God
"Bring your attitudes into obedience to God’s Word. Apply discipline to your thought life — submit your thoughts to those of Christ’s. A good attitude is a matter of faith, disregarding your feelings, with a determination to embrace God’s outlook and disposition."

2 Corinthians 10:5 "casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ..."

Lord, here is my attitude.  You can have all of it.  The good, bad, and the ugly.  Help me to transition my negative thinking and energy into positive--overwhelming positive and perfect obedience to You.  Give me patience where there is none.  Give me silence when I want to speak negatively or complain.  Give me fulfillment in the current job I am working.  Help turn my bad attitude into something big for you.

3. Equip And Feed Your Attitudes
Dwell on the things that God’s word tells us to — those good and virtuous things. If you dwell on the negative, your attitude will reflect the same.

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy; meditate on these things."

Lord, when I begin to dwell on the negative (or the partly cloudy sky), I pray you will gently remind me of the good and virtuous things I have in my life.  I have a Lord and Savior who loves me so much He died for my sins (like these).  I have a husband and best friend who loves and supports me when I can't even stand to be around myself.  I have two, handsome, healthy, funny boys who make my life soooo much more fulfilled than any career ever could.  I have a roof over my head, shoes on my feet (new running shoes!), food on my table, and many, many other blessings that I seem to let the negativity overshadow.  Lord, these are the things that Paul suggests we mediate on...help me to be mindful of his sound advice.


1 comment:

  1. I was listening to 106.9 and heard it too. Boy did that strike a chord in me....
    I tend to distance myself from those Negative Nancys in my life, yet when I heard that I thought about how negative I can be. I too need an attitude adjustment, especially in a certain situation. May all our days be SUNNY in our heart!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Pages