Monday, January 7, 2013

2013: Purpose Journey


One week in January has already came and gone.  (Christmas will be here before we know it!)  Last week, I tried to be more intentional about my time.  I would ask myself if I could find my purpose in many of the things I did, said, etc. 

I'm not really sure where I am going with this new life focus or what God wants to show me, but I'm opening myself up to be a candidate for anything He wants to teach me.

Some things I've accomplished this week towards Purpose 2013:
  • I started a new Sunday School unit with my 5th graders yesterday.  I challenged them to find someone to share Jesus with this week.  I used a simple illustration with Dum-Dum suckers about how sharing Jesus with one person who shares Him with another person sets witnessing in motion.  Every day if each person shares Jesus with another the amount of people doubles...within a week, 128 people can be witnessed to.  Then I showed them some Smarties candy and told them if we challenged ourselves with telling more than one person about Jesus, look how many more people we can reach.  It was a stretch, yes, but the kids actually got it.  We decided by the end of class that we didn't want to be a Dum-Dum.  We wanted to be a Smarty.
  • Sent out a few text messages and emails to friends I was thinking about last week.  I let them know I was thinking about them and praying for them.
  • I called two friends I really miss.  It is true that if you want to keep your friendships that you need to devote time to maintain them. 
  • I began reading "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers and spent less time watching TV.  It has been so good so far, and I have literally found it hard to put down.
  • I celebrated an anniversary of the horrific car accident from 1998.  God continually reminds me of His mercy and grace.  I know He was with me that day, and I don't ever want to forget how He brought me through that accident.
  • We spent some time with our nephew Alex who was in town from Montana.  We had a family dinner at my BIL's house and enjoyed time as a family. 
What did you do this week with purpose?  How is God using your One Word for 2013 to teach you?

Happy Monday Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Redeeming Love.

    My word is Joy and I purchased a journal so that each night I could write one thing that brought me joy that day. I'm purposefully finding joy in everything I do. Most times, I just rush around and don't really savor what it is I'm doing. Even grocery shopping. Yep, I found joy in my shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea for your lesson. That's awesome. One thing I want to tell you about teaching children. Just when you think that they are not listening, not getting it, seeming as if they are 1000 miles away.... KNOW they get it.... you are planting seeds that will come up in due time. Keep planting those seeds with the ultimate purpose in mind. To point them to Christ!
    Thanks for my text! It was perfect timing!
    My word is JOY.... I am focusing on putting HIM first and he is impressing on my heart to put others before myself - Jesus, Others, You!

    ReplyDelete

Pages